Stay Tuned for an even better AIR. Plans are in the works to make this a database driven site. What does that mean? More searchable, more malleable, quicker, and customizable.
Built in 1892. A nice little building sitting empty and burned out for the past
ten years at least… not sure if it will ever get redeveloped, or just torn
Built ??. No information about this building in any reports.
Built 1988? Vacant since 2004 and For Sale.
Built approximately 1913. Architect believed to be Warren & Gerrish of Boston. Photos beginning 2002. Two stately brick-clad warehouses along the waterfront. Listed on the 2010 PPS 10 Most Endangered List. Vacant since circa 1994 or previous. Demolition proposed 2011 and complete by 2015.
Built ??, vacant Since 2000. Photos since May 2004. A former nightclub under many different names – demolished winter 2011.
Built 1907 and 1937, currently in some use. Photos starting November 2005. Owned by the Providence Journal Company and in partial use as a nightclub/bar... with an uncertain future
Built circa 1890. Might be replaced with a chain store of some sort – future uncertain.
Built ??, photos starting 2008. Future very uncertain, esp. since the former Shaw’s Plaza down the hill is vacant, and that whole northern section of the Providence/Pawtucket line is ripe for redevelopment.
Built 1917 to 1925, photos starting March 2002. Architect, Jenks and Ballou. Under redevelopment from 2002 to 2005 as the Heritage Harbor Museum. State and Federal Historic Place status as the South Street Power Plant.
Built circa 1875, photos starting February 25 2004. A small house, hidden off Benefit Street, previously under RISD’s ownership. Part of PPS’s 2003, 2007 and 2008 Ten Most Endangered List.
Built 1906-1908, closed 1981. Photos from various times. The west entrance is at 101 North Main St. The east entrance is towards the waterfront from Gano Street, behind East Side market.
Built 1971, a small amusement park for kids with a Nursery Rhyme theme. Closed 2005.
Built ??, closed 2005. Photos starting from April 2005. Not quite in Decay, but the future of this simple building is uncertain.
Built ?? and vacant since ??. Photos starting 2003. Demolished Dec 2012 – Jan 2013. Part of a once-bustling commercial
district on North Main Street near the Pawtucket border.
Built 1892, and altered mid to late 20th century. Photos starting 2006.
Built 1968, photos starting May 2005.
Built ~1962. Corner of Broad and Cahir Streets. Formerly used as a head lodge for the local chapter of the Boy Scouts of America.
Built 1799, vacant since the 1950s. The Fort is under the control of the Ft Adams State Trust, a 501c3 organization that is dedicated to restoring portions of the fort for public use.
Built 1901, photos starting June 2003. Part of the National Register, Broadway-Armory Historic District. The building has been under attack by its owners even though it is a protected structure.
Built 1908 to 1910. Vacant since ?? For Sale and lacking much action, located right next door to the renovated Foundry.
Rt 6 and Rt 177, Dartmouth, Mass. Founded circa 1890, vacant since 1987 with photos starting April 2006. In decay and attacked by large fires for the past 15 years, and many redevelopment plans have come and gone without major change
Built ??. Been a Novelty/Costume store for the better part of 20 years. Borders the Mineral Spring Cemetery to the west. Burned July 26, 2011.
Built 1908-1918, photos starting June 2008. 17,000 square feet, and despite its age, not mentioned on the 1981 industrial survey, State Register, or the National Register.
Built 1880-1919, photos starting Feb 2004. Bordered by Conant, Pine, Barton, and Weeden Streets, Pawtucket
Built 1921, photos starting May 2004. A few proposals for reuse have come and gone.
Built 1915, last train left 1959. Photos from March 2003. A great building straddling the border bewteen Central Falls and Pawtucket, right over the train tracks.
Built 1947, photos starting Nov 2002. Fomrmerly located on Atwells Ave in Eagle Square. National Register Historic Status, August 20, 2003.
Opened in 1968 as the Midland Mall, which was then the first two-level enclosed shopping mall in New England with space for about 100 stores. In steady decline since the early nineties.
Built 1907, vacated in 1997. Listed on the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s “America’s Eleven Most Endangered Historic Places”
Built circa 1920s and purchased by RISD in 1961.
Built circa 1905 and in use as a theatre until 1936. Most of the orginal theatre has been demolished, and only the lobby and facade survive.
Photos starting 2003. Demolished December 2014.
The “Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge” at Crook Point built ca 1908 and abandoned in 1976. Also known as the Seekonk River Drawbridge S.S. K-315, which carried Providence, Warren & Bristol train line. Better known as “the bridge that is stuck up“.
Built 1937, photos starting March 2002. Moved from Harris Ave, Providence, in 2001 to Blake and Middle Streets in Pawtucket. Not yet reopened. Part of the Provisions Warehouse Historic District (National Register).
Opened in 1947, closed by 1996 and for sale by 1999. Located along RI/MA Route 146, on the southern-bound side of the highway.
Built 1828. Oldest continuously operating, enclosed shopping mall in America at the time of it’s closing in 2008. Architrects Russell Warren and James C. Bucklin, builder Cyrus Butler.
Built 1891; remodeled ca. 1920-1930 and again mid-late 20th c. Also 43-45 Broad Street and 46 Summer Street.
Built 1931, photos starting December 2005. HABS/HAER photos taken 1983. Previously located on Rt 146, Lincoln, at the junction of 146 and 295; now located further down on the other side of the highway. National Register status 1979.
Built 1847 and 1870, vacated in 2005. Photos starting April 2007. Owned by First National Development for the conversion into apartments. Conversion began slowly in 2008 and continued into 2009 and 2010. Fire destroyed half of the complex on October 13, 2010.
Built circa 1890. Served as a nursing home for 105 years.
Built 1929 and 1950, photos starting October 2004. Demolition of main portion of building in December 2005.